David Sinclair recently garnered attention with his appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Using his moment in the spotlight to raise awareness of life extension research taking place.
Despite being almost 50 years of age, David easily looks younger. Given that his focus is on tackling aging and he appears to exemplify this work – it’s natural to ask – what’s his secret?
One thing David is fast to point out, is that he’s a researcher not a medical doctor, and doesn’t give health recommendations. Respecting that, this article will only look at what David does, noting that he isn’t recommending others do the same.
David Sinclair Takes:
- Resveratrol – 0.5g/daily (morning w/ yogurt)1
- Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN) – 1g/daily (morning w/ yogurt)1
- Metformin – 1g daily (evenings)2
- Multivitamins? Only vitamin D with vitamin K2. Aims to get the rest from his diet
- Statin (prescription drug) – taken since early 20s due to family history of cardiovascular disease
1 Resveratrol & NMN doses come via 2019 Joe Rogan podcast
2 Metformin dose comes originally via David’s 2018 blog post, where he started on 0.5g, and then later via his episode on Peter Attia’s podcast where he increased dosage to 1g/daily – after having measured his health for a while at 0.5g. Noting that metformin, reserveratrol and NMN have crossover on the pathways they interact with, hence a cautious approach.
David mentioned on his Joe Rogan podcast interview, that he begun taking resveratrol approximately 12 years ago, and added NMN & Metformin approximately 3 years ago.
With both the resveratrol and NMN, he actually doesn’t buy this from anywhere, nor does he endorse any brands that sell it. Instead he uses product that was leftover from their laboratory experiments. Keeping the excess frozen to increase molecule stability and increase shelf life.
What else is David doing?
- Intermittent fasting – skipping breakfast and/or lunch where possible. Helped by lots of green. tea.
- Running 1-2x/week low impact + high intensity (using curved treadmill such as Woodway)
- Weight lifting (ideally!) 2-3x/week
- Sauna weekly
- Coffee in the morning (once per day) – to which Joe asks, “how do you live?” Haha, presumably Joe drinks much more
Will add more to this post in due course, with details around Metformin, NMN, and Resveratrol.